Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) and Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) Acquisition Requirements

To reduce fuel consumption and pollution emissions, and purchase vehicles that provide the best value on a life cycle cost basis, the state must take the following actions:

  • At least 75% of state motor vehicle acquisitions must be AFVs, and the remaining 25% must be HEVs to the greatest extent possible;
  • All new light-duty trucks in the state fleet must achieve a minimum city fuel economy of 19 miles per gallon (mpg) and achieve at least a Low Emission Vehicle certification, and all new passenger vehicles in the state fleet must achieve a minimum city fuel economy of 23 mpg;
  • All state agencies must purchase the most economical, fuel-efficient, and lowest emission vehicles appropriate to meet requirements and discourage the purchase of sport utility vehicles;
  • All state agencies must purchase low rolling resistance tires with superior tread life for state vehicles when possible; and
  • All state vehicles must be maintained according to manufacturer specifications, including specified tire pressures and ratings.
The state must also prepare an annual report to the governor on compliance with these goals. (Reference Executive Order 05-13, 2005)

Did you find what you were looking for?