Natural Gas Vehicle Availability
There are limited light- and heavy-duty natural gas vehicles (NGVs) available from original equipment manufacturers. However, qualified system retrofitters can also reliably convert many light-duty and heavy-duty vehicles for natural gas operation.
Only two light-duty dedicated natural gas vehicles are available directly from major original equipment manufacturers: the Honda Civic GX sedan and the natural gas Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana. The natural gas Civic has the cleanest EPA air pollution rating of any internal combustion vehicle.
- Use the Light-Duty Vehicle Search tool to see natural gas vehicles available. For more light-duty NGV options, see NGVAmerica's Available Vehicles and Engines.
- Use the Vehicle Cost Calculator tool to understand costs associated with buying and fueling vehicles.
- Go to the U.S. Department of Energy/U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Fuel Economy Guide to compare these vehicles with others for environmental impact and petroleum savings.
Natural gas engines can be used in a variety of heavy-duty vehicles for various applications, such as transit buses, school buses, and refuse trucks.
- Use the Heavy-Duty Vehicle and Engine Search tool to see available natural gas vehicles and engines.
- For more information about which vehicles feature natural gas engines, contact the engine manufacturers using NGVAmerica's Guide to Available Natural Gas Vehicles and Engines. Alternatively, contact heavy-duty vehicle manufacturers to learn about the natural gas vehicles they offer.
Find out about options for converting conventional vehicles to run on natural gas.
Learn about buying and selling pre-owned alternative fuel and advanced vehicles.
For more information, see the AFDC's information on natural gas or: